Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Starting a Seed Order

Although I won't be in my new Zone 10 home until April, I will be purchasing seeds this year for the direct planting of summer and fall crops. After reading some very disturbing facts about GMO's and the seed giant Monsanto, I plan to avoid all seed companies that carry their products. In the past I have used Burpee and Park but Baker will be my primary source this year. They carry heirloom, open pollinated, and GMO free seeds. And their catalog is gorgeous.

On the list so far:

Flame Lettuce - a red leaf lettuce that is supposedly slow to bolt
Gentilina Lettuce - a crisp light green leaf lettuce with curly leaves
French Breakfast Radish - an old-fashioned white on the bottom radish
Saxa 2 Radish - a quick (3wks) red European radish

If my garden winds up being a potted garden, I'll still have a use for these seeds. They should provide us with fresh salad material all year long in the Zone 10 climate.

2 comments:

  1. The hard part is keeping leafy veggies going through the heat. July to early October can be hard on lettuce - provide some shade and a heat-resistant lettuce and you should be OK... and do look at the Sunset Western Garden Guide - though mostly an ornamental handbook, it's priceless for transmuting Eastern guidelines into Western success. david

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David! I did have concerns about the summer heat and as I understand, LA gets about 7" of rain a year. No more letting Mother Nature take care of these things while I'm away. Irrigation may be worth looking into...

    ReplyDelete