Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh, the Succulents You'll See!


I've been thinking about succulents today. We only received a dusting of snow outside this morning, but the temperature is scheduled to drop into the teens tonight and strong winds are to arrive. I'm dreaming of warmer days and succulents growing outside in the wild. The last time I visited Zone 10 Los Angeles, I spent one day ogling the beautiful plantings at the Getty. Their collection of succulents was impressive and inspiring. I hadn't really considered succulents as anything more than novel houseplants until then. At that moment I imagined my poor, struggling jade plants basking in the California sun.

Although we will need to sell most of our plants when we move, I do plan to travel with one small succulent collection that I bought for Josh at Longwood Gardens. I hope these will get a chance to thrive outside in our new Zone 10 home. The notion of trying to plant things that are suited to the dry climate we will have in Los Angeles is something to consider. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for native plants in the seed catalogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment