Friday, January 22, 2010

Dwarf Sweet Corn


I just learned from The Apartment Farm that a variety of sweet corn called Blue Jade Corn is small enough to grow in containers. This is intriguing to say the least. In the past I have been reluctant to try corn because of space issues. Once you plant the necessary 4 rows for proper pollination, not much room is left for some of my other favorites. A dwarf variety may be just the thing to try in a few 5 gallon buckets.

One thing I know about corn is that it has been domesticated to the point of needing some pretty specific conditions for reproduction. I have no idea if wind pollination will be able to occur if planted in small bucket sized bunches. I will be following The Apartment Farm through the growing season for updates. If it looks promising, it is on the list for next year.

1 comment:

  1. You would hand pollinate the corn - shake the plants so the pollen falls down on the silks. We do it with all small plots of corn - we call it 'corn sex' and ask the corn if it was as good for them as it was for us... Goofy, I know... BTW, did you know that each SILK is a female corn flower? If one silk doesn't get pollinated, there is no corn kernel (seed) in that spot! Just a little tidbit about corn.
    david

    ReplyDelete